The Essex Events Company
Gay Weddings & Civil Ceremonies
As you may be aware Civil Partnerships became legal in the UK on December 21st 2005. As with any wedding, pre-planning and preparation is an essential part to the run up to the Big Day.
With this in mind, The Essex Events Company can help and support future Civil Partnerships by providing access to a fantastic range of Wedding Venues and Suppliers.
Within the first years, it has been estimated that more than 10,000 Same Sex couples will be planning to hold their perfect wedding ceremony. From December 10th 2014, gay couples in England and Wales have been able convert their civil partnerships to marriage. We've gathered together a set of FAQs to help explain exactly what you can expect during the process.
When can we convert our civil partnership to marriage?
Conversions can take place any time after Wednesday December 10th 2014. If you haven't already, you'll need to book an appointment with a registrar.
How much will a conversion cost?
Conversions will cost £45.
What happens at a conversion?
Couples will need to decide which type of conversion they would like as there are 2 options.
1. A simple conversion is a low-key affair between you, your partner and a registrar. You'll sign a document and agree that you want to become marital partners and that's it.
2. You can build a ceremony around the signing of the document. One that will, most likely, more closely resemble a wedding than step 1. A registrar will attend your venue and complete the conversion before your gathered family and friends.
The same venue rules apply for option 2 as they would for any wedding venue but bear in mind that certain religious venues are not legally obligated to host same-sex weddings or conversions.
If we opt for a 2-stage conversion, then is that free?
No, it isn't. However, you will still qualify for a £45 reduction on the final price.
How do I book a conversion?
You'll need to book an appointment at a register office and complete a declaration with the following details:
- Proof of name and date of birth
- Current valid passport, birth certificate, UK photo driving licence or EEA identity card.
- Proof of address
- A utility bill issued in the last quarter, very recent bank statement, or a council tax bill.
- Your civil partnership certificate
Here at The Essex Events Company we strive to help any couples celebrate their love in style with their loved one’s – let us help you create those fabulous memories together!